Re: [CSS21] Errata, Major Errors, and Comments

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Mark Moore wrote:

> It's pretty clear from perusing the www-style list that the WG is
> interested in closing out the CSS 2.1 effort.  For example, there have
> been *no* "[CSS21] response to issue x" postings since before the CR was
> published, and there have only been 2 "Re: [CSS21] response to issue x"
> postings since that time.  There have only been six comments (marked
> with the "[CSS21]" comment marker) since the CR was published, and all
> six were either shut down, or not responded to.

Issues have been noted and are being dealt with (our internal issues list
is up to 62 issues). We'll probably release an errata update of the spec
in due course.

None of the errors so far have been particularly cricical, which is why
there hasn't been any particular noise, I imagine. :-)

If someone has posted a comment and not received a reply, and would like
to know how their comment was addressed, please feel free to repost the
comment and ask for feedback.

> In the "Candidate Recommendation Exit Criteria" section
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-CSS21-20040225), there are five identified
> exit criteria.  The second criteria states "A minimum of six months of
> the CR period must have elapsed. This is to ensure that enough time is
> given for any remaining major errors to be caught."
>
> Can the WG clarify what might constitute a "major error"?

The spec contradicting itself, or leaving a non-trivial edge case
implicitly undefined.

> Also, if there is an existing plan for handling any major errors that
> might be caught, please describe what you have in mind (or direct me to
> the existing URI if I missed it).

If someone raises a major issue (or any issue), it is noted, fixed in the
internal draft, and at some future point will be included in a
republishing of the CSS2.1 specification.

There hasn't been any major issues so far. Mostly minor issues to do with
the formal grammar, typos, and edge cases that were either undefined or
made little sense.