RE: Multiple Text Decoration Values

> From: Tantek Çelik [mailto:tantek@cs.stanford.edu]
> On 5/9/04 10:21 AM, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:
> >> The CSS3 Text Module addresses this problem with a
> 'text-blink' property.
> >
> > Frankly, I have to wonder... is blinking text actually used
> by anyone?

Microsoft Internet Explorer doesn't support either HTML's <blink> or CSS2's
text-decoration: blink - this puts a severe crimp on anyone that would like
to use it.
People who really want blinking text use animated .gif's.
Plenty of people actually do resort to this - it stands to reason that they
would probably use text-blink if it was supported by popular browsers.

> > Is it
> > worth keeping in the spec at all?
>
> I don't think so.

I do.  If authors want to blink things, it's much more convenient for them
to use text-blink than have to go through the rigamarole of creating an
animated .gif.  Much more spider-friendly, too.  Ironically it's probably
easier for users to deal with text-blink than to have to deal with an
animated .gif.

Consider even a whole paragraph of blinking text.  Simply highlighting it
should cause it to be readable.  If not a quick copy/paste to Notepad - or
your favorite text editor - should alleviate any readability issues.

It would be nice if user agents put in a "don't blink text" checkbox that
users could set to their liking.  I realize that may be asking a bit much
for what is currently a non-issue though.

Matthew.van.Eerde@hbinc.com                      805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer
perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"