Re: recommendations to css3 draft ...

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Chris Lilley wrote:
>>Then, an SVG image can be used to create a gradient as a background.
>>Replicating SVG functionality into CSS3 would be a bad direction.
>
> Maybe it is just me, but I dislike the idea to create about six SVG
> documents for a site like <http://www.blogger.com/start>

It's probably just you because the fact is you can put as many gradients
as you like into a single SVG document :)

> and depend
> on SVG support in background-images in the client

Or depend on support for CSS3 in the browser. Hmmmm.

> (e.g., creating a different set of about six images to
> use them for an alternate style sheet)

Again, no.

> rather than adding few lines
> to the style sheet,

A few lines? You sure? Just for linear gradients, you need:

  - two points to specify where it starts and where it ends, which adds
    up to four items.
  - as many rgba stops as there are colours, and for each their offsets
  - what happens at gradient edges, does it pad, reflect, or repeat?

So what would it look like? Perhaps:

   background: gradient(10px, 20px, 100px, 200px pad rgba(120,14,42,50)
0.3, rgba(120,14,42,50) 0.4, rgba(120,14,42,50) 0.7, rgba(120,14,42,50)
0.9);

Hmmm. I prefer the SVG version.

> just because CSS syntax for gradients would be
> a "bad direction"

CSS is a styling language, not a graphics language. It's also not a
generic syntax for everything and the dog's breakfast.

--
Robin Berjon