Re: new text-decoration proposal

David Latapie writes:

> I propose a new text-decoration. By now they are almost redundant,
> border-top and bottom being almost able to replace them. Leaving only
> the unused strike-through as an original thing.

Strike-through is used in practice. In fact, we use it sometimes when
we update a draft of CSS to show the differences with the previous
draft.

Borders are not quite the same as underline and overline. The bottom
border, e.g., is below the descenders, while the underline (depending
on the font) is just below the baseline and goes through the
descenders. Also, smart browsers may interrupt the underline for
subscripts.

> My prposal would be a sort of "font border".
> Three ideas:
> - "hollow fonts" white with a black border. Is it the "engraved"
> effect? I do not remember. And I would particularly like this one:
> wood-like color (a carefully chosen shade of maroon) with a golden
> border.
>
> - inset and outset borders would have obvious use for
> greco-roman/monument look

These are defined in the CSS3 fonts module[1], as 'font-effect:
outline' (or 'emboss' or 'engrave')

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-fonts/#font-decoration

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/ERCIM