Re: Alternate stylesheets and the "disabled" DOM property

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, fantasai wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, fantasai wrote:
>>>
>>> <link rel="alternate stylesheet" href="forest.css" title="Forest">
>>> <link rel="alternate stylesheet" href="ocean.css" title="Ocean">
>>>
>>> Now. Suppose:
>>>   1. I select Ocean from the Use Style menu.
>>>   2. The page scripts all style sheets [enabled].
>>>   3. I open the Use Style menu again.
>>>
>>> What do I see?
>>>
>>> If enabling/disabling style sheets is the mechanism for selecting
>>> among alternate styles, this is an ambiguous situation.
>>
>> No particular style set selected. The option to choose whatever set you
>> want.
>
> That's probably the most reasonable behavior, given the circumstances,
> but the it's still ambiguous.

It's well defined. If you mean ambiguous to the user, then yes, possibly
(I'm no UI expert), but that is up to the page. If you decouple disabled
and altss from each other, then there is no way for the page to enable
sheets from different groups, something which works today and is
interoperably implemented across all UAs with DOMs.