Re: [CSS21] Comments on the 2003-09-15 CSS 2.1 Draft

Tantek Çelik wrote:
> Given that tag soup fundamentally doesn't reflect a tree structure, it
> should come as no surprise that different teams of programmers would come up
> with different approximations.

> Tasman certainly uses a "well-defined parse tree" for valid markup.
> However, for tag soup, we simply tried to make sure that common styling
> effects worked, and paid very little attention to tag soup DOM.

Of course.  I was simply pointing out that existing tag-soup browsers
did indeed produce tag-soup "DOM"s in some situations, much as people
would like to believe otherwise.  If my mail sounded like it was
expressing any sort of value judgement, that was completely unintended;
I merely pointed to factual information.

> After all, isn't it better to wean web authors off of tag soup rather than
> continue to encourage them to depend on it by working too hard to make it
> work predictably?

Amen.  ;)

-Boris