Re: CSS21 @font-face removal

On Monday 2003-10-20 19:52 +0300, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> Then there's the practice of transferring Latin gibberish and applying
> a font that is a Latin font from the system's point of view but
> contains glyphs for another script.

Although it's getting a little off-topic, it's worth noting that about
half the bugs filed to request that Mozilla support dynamic fonts were
filed because of such sites.  Or, rather, sites that do something that's
almost as bad -- claim to be encoded in charset=x-user-defined.  This
practice seems to be rather common for some South Asian languages.
Examples of sites that do this (and the scripts they're in, or that I
think they're in) are:

  http://www.eenadu.net/         Telugu
  http://www.lokmat.com/         Devanagari
  http://www.anandabazar.com/    Bengali
  http://www.loksatta.com/       Devanagari?
  http://www.rediff.com/hindi/   Devanagari?
  http://www.manoramaonline.com/ Malayalam

> I think CSS 2.1 should not
> accommodate fontifying Latin gibberish to look like text in a minority
> script in browsers that happen to support such a trick. That approach
> may appear to work (for some value of "work") in some cases but causes
> problems with search engines and usually with browsers other than the
> one the author of the page was using.

I'm not sure how a browser could prevent it -- how could it detect that
a font doesn't contain the characters it claims to contain?  (Or did you
mean something else by "CSS 2.1 should not accomodate..."?)  And should
charset=x-user-defined just be rejected, or should it be left for people
who want to exchange documents containing characters that really aren't
in Unicode?

-David