Re: [CSS21] DTD defaults are supposed to be ignored

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> >
> > This could be avoided by adding a simple statement: All references to
> > attributes in CSS shall be taken as referring to attributes that have
> > been explicitly set using attribute specifications in the document's
> > markup.
>
> "Default attribute values may be defined in a DTD or elsewhere, but cannot
> be selected by attribute selectors."
>
> That's exactly what that sentence is trying to say.

More or less so, I guess. But it doesn't really say it. It's obscure -
for example, selectors don't really select attributes, do they?

My point is that the formulation needs a clarification, which is best
formulated as part of the very _definition_ of the meaning of attribute
selectors, rather than a vague statement of what can or cannot be done.