RE: [CSS21] [css3-syntax] Noncharacters

Altho it is referring to unmatched quotation marks, the following
sentence from CSS3-Syntax (Section 4.2 Tokenization) is I believe
on target:  "If at some point it is not possible to continue tokenizing
an incoming style sheet, the remainder of the style sheet should be
ignored and only the largest initial segment of the style sheet that
can be tokenized according  to the above rules."

Your first question thus becomes should Unicode non-characters
be tokenizable?  Common sense would say no, but as far as I can
tell the normative  grammar in CSS 2.1 Appendix G would say yes.
Given the late date of CSS 2.1, this is probably something that
should be passed over silently in CSS 2.1, and addressed more
explicitly in CSS 3 Syntax.