[css3-ui] box-sizing will be in CR draft

On 11/18/03 10:06 AM, "Dave Shea" <dave@mezzoblue.com> wrote:

>> Those on this mailing list have generally agreed the property is
>> inappropriate. Further, the CSS3 Box module is the proper place for
>> any such property, and that module already mentions and dismisses
>> box-sizing:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-box-20021024/#the-box-width
>
> Whoa! Not so fast. This is the first time I've heard anyone was planning
> on dropping this. Why?

There is no plan to drop this.  In fact, there have been multiple
implementations for quite some time.  IE5/Mac implements it.  I *think*
Opera7 also does, and Moz has the "-moz-box-sizing" variant.

Ian Hickson addressed the issue of why it is in CSS3-UI and not CSS-Box [1].

> This new box-sizing property was something I and a lot of other
> developers were looking forward to. The original box-sizing model simply
> does not work in a lot of instances.

Agreed.

> If I set an element to fill the viewport - ie. width: 100%; - then I
> cannot, with the CSS2 model, add padding to it. I either have to pad
> child elements, or more likely in real-world scenarios, insert an extra
> empty container and give it the padding instead.
>
> What prevalent wisdom has decided we don't need this?

None.

> (note - specific implementation is not my concern, I don't care where
> it's applied; I just want the ability to choose my box-sizing model)

Don't worry, 'box-sizing' will be in the CSS3-UI CR, which I am still
writing up (actually, I'm working on CSS2.1 issues first, but CSS3-UI CR is
next after that.)

Tantek Çelik
CSS3-UI editor

[1]