Re: CSS3 Selectors question

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Thu, 1 May 2003, Michael Day wrote:

<Snip three examples which since they involved multiple pseudo-elements
in a single sequence of simple selectors, weren't what I was thinking
of at all.>

> > If pseudo-elements can occur more than once, there needs to be some
> > definition of what it actually *means*.
>
> The CSS3 Generated and Replaced Content Module, to be published shortly,
> does exactly this.
>
> The example that Ernest gave in his e-mail:
>
>    ::selection ::first-line
>
> ...is invalid because selections never contain elements, so they can never
> contain an element's first line.

Where does that restiction exist?

I can't find anything in Selectors that says that pseudo-elements in
general, or ::selection in particular cannot contain elements. Is that
restriction in some other module, or am I just looking in the wrong
place in Selectors?