Re: CSS3 Selectors question

Note: The comments below are my own and do not necessarily represent the
official position of the working group.

On Thu, 1 May 2003, Michael Day wrote:

>> The CSS3 Generated and Replaced Content Module, to be published shortly,
>> does exactly this.
>
> I would love to see this, as we are just preparing to implement the
> generated content pseudo-elements.

Please be aware that if you implement any of the working draft proposals,
you must do so using the -vnd-prefix form (::-yeslogic-after,
::-yeslogic-alternate, etc), so that we do not have conflicts when we
change the specification in future drafts.

(This doesn't apply to CR, PR, or REC specifications, only WD and LCWD.)

> Any idea when it will be made public?

The document is ready, it just has to be approved by the director (since
it is the first draft) and the publishing team. I do not know how long
this process is expected to take.

> Will this new module have an effect on the Selectors module, which defines
> ::before and ::after

The Selectors module is at CR (it was our first CSS3 module to reach CR);
this module is only at the initial WD stages, and is unlikely to reach CR
for a long time. In addition, Selectors are relatively easy to implement,
whereas generated content, footnotes, counters, et al are significantly
more work, so it is thus likely that by the time a version of the
generated content module reaches REC, the Selectors draft will have done
so several times already. Thus I would expect the Selectors module to be
updated to contain any new selectors well before those selectors are in a
W3C Recommendation.

Note that the UI module(s) might also introduce new selectors, so the
generated content module probably won't be the only one doing so.

> or the Lists module, which defines ::marker?

::marker is defined in both specifications using the same text, and since
I am the editor of both, they will be kept in sync. On the long term, I
imagine the Lists module will refer to the Content module for ::marker,
but we published the Lists module first, so...

Cheers,