Re: block level formatting

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, David Woolley wrote:

>> everything you want, you might want to try display: table-cell.
>
> That would be a SHOULD NOT level violation of CSS2 if the document is in
> HTML.  Also, CSS2 has a MAY permission for HTML browsers to ignore all
> display property settings.  This is repeated specifically in the tables
> section with the above SHOULD NOT and a note that HTML table structures
> should be rendered in the way one would expect them to be rendered.

That's an error in the CSS2 spec (which we have corrected in the upcoming
CSS2.1 spec, IIRC). The working group did not intend to discourage authors
from using display:table-cell, and the only caveat that was intended for
user agents is that HTML table elements may be locked into acting as table
display types.