Re: XPath as CSS-selectors?

Herr Christian Wolfgang Hujer wrote:
> I think XPath is fast enough.
> Experience: Use of large XPath expressions (>250) making extensive use of the
> document() function several times (>10) in each single xslt transformation of
> websites (pages >250) using Ant, Xalan, Xerces and Java.

And the times involved were?  It's hard to work with blanket statements
unsupported by hard data.

> If the implementation of XPath in a UA would be only half as fast as that of
> Xalan (which isn't know for speed anyway), instant response for any web page
> <200kB is guaranteed I think.

"Instant" means "under 5 msec" in the use cases we're talking about
here.... because the UA is being given 10 msec to reresolve style and
reflow/repaint/whatever as necessary.

Not saying it's not doable, I just have no data to work with, since my
XPath experience is severely limited.

-Boris