RE: XPath as CSS-selectors?

Chris Lilley wrote:

> For example, it would be trivial to make an XPath selector
> that would block all CSS rendering by making the styling of
> the first element be dependent on an attribute on the last
> element.

Excuse me for being dumb, but I don't quite understand what
you mean. Can you please give an example?

> And Xpath does not have the equivalent of pseudo-elements or
> pseudo-classes.

As I wrote to Ian, this can be combined.

> Ian, in general, I agree that XPath was designed more for a
> batch-oriented, one-shot transformation process like XSLT
> rather than for a continuously evaluated dynamic system like
> CSS.

The language's design don't exclude it from being used in other
areas or environments, though it might set some constraints on
it.

> What I wonder though is whether you - or anyone on this list
> - has made a more detailed evaluation and comparison of Xpath
> and of CSS Selectors I terms of power, implementation
> efficiency, and problems that would occur in dynamic as opposed
> to static usage.

I don't know of any such comparison, but I'd very much like to
see one.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg           -=|=-          X-No-Archive: No
"He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away"