Re: author-defined color aliases

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 01:23:58 +0100, Ben Godfrey wrote:

> >Why not? Do you think that users shouldn't have to know what any piece
> >of software on their system does to be able to use it?
>
> Isn't this one of the key tasks of computer scientists? Abstraction?
> I'm a degree educated computer scientist and I understand the general
> rules of the software I use, but I'm not about to go diving into
> Safari's CSS implementation to browse or even write pages.

I'm not suggesting that an author needs to understand how a
preprocessor gets from the input to the output, but they need to know
what to put in to get the output they want - just as with any other
piece of software. (Just as to write CSS one needs to know how what
they type should be rendered, but not how Safari does the translation)

--
David Dorward                                     http://david.us-lot.org/
         Redesign in progress: http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/