Re: Ideas for CSS 3.0?

On 6/4/03 2:01 PM, "David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> Certainly _where_ something should be and what _size_ it should be is
>> presentational.  Image maps are essentially that with the added ability of
>
> The positions of roads or countries on maps, or even, for that matter,
> parts of an assembly, are more than just presentational.

The analogy is false because those structures are not presented in multiple
media.  They are in the physical world in one instantiation period.

And if all you cared about was your HTML documents working on one medium on
one type of machine then the analogy might make sense.

But most people at least care about two media, screen and print, and
increasingly numbers of people are caring about handhelds, phones and other
devices where the presentation (the where, size, shape etc.) needs to be
changed per media.

>> What about being able to do what area maps do in html but through CSS? The
>> idea is to have an image load as a background from the CSS file and then
>> being able to select different clickable areas within it. All contained in
>> the CSS file. I don't think that's possible right now.
>
> Things that are clickable should be in the primary content, not in
> styling.

The thing that is clickable (the URLs and links and alt text and title text)
would and should still be in the primary content for that precise reason.
The layout of the image map, regions etc. is *purely* presentational and
that is the piece that should be moved to CSS.

And for that matter, CSS is particularly good at hooking into things that
are clickable etc. in order to style their interactivity, e.g. with :active,
:hover etc.  See Selectors[1].

Tantek

[1]
 http://w3.org/TR/css3-selectors