Re: Scope of :hover

Christoph Päper wrote:

> Matt:
> >
> > It's sensible that only interactive elements can accept the :hover
> > pseudo-class.
>
> What about highlighted table-rows or columns?

I presume that the intention is to provide a mechanism whereby it is
easy to determine which row and column a cell belongs to.  However, how
does the use of :hover to do this achieve this when the page is printed
and interactive pseudo-classes such as :hover are not available?

There is a definite need for a pseudo-class that indicates that there
is some user action available when the pointer is hovering over the
element in question.  I have yet to see a need for a pseudo-class to
the indicate that the pointer is over any element, but it is apparent
that many people have a desire for one.  Perhaps the best solution
would be to have two pseudo-classes instead of one?  Then we can fight
over which one gets to keep the name :hover, instead of how to
interpret :hover.