OT: Accessibility of PDF and SVG (was: body { padding: 8px; } ...)

On Friday, July 25, 2003, at 03:00 AM, Afternoon wrote:
> On Friday, Jul 25, 2003, at 08:57 Europe/London, David Woolley wrote:
>> If repeatable presentation is more important than strucuture, then you
>> want a page description language, like PostScript or its descendants,
>> PDF and SVG (although currently PDF has better support for providing
>> for providing structure information, amongst these).
>
> Thanks, you mentioned these technologies before several times. I'll
> repeat my previous reply, these technologies are useful, but they are
> not flexible enough to allow content to be delivered to a wide
> audience. They have little or no accessibility or degradability
> features and, if used widespread would limit the web. Please consider
> your suggestion noted from now on.

I'm confused.  You say that PDF and SVG have "little or no
accessibility ... features"?

What do you find lacking or unpersuasive about:

      http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/NOTE-SVG-access-20000807/

And to what degree do you find that PDF files (created via
Acrobat 6) are inaccessible?

Surely there is as much danger in your assumption that the Web
is a visual medium -- and HTML and CSS are therefore tools for
presenting a visual interface -- as there is in using either
PDF or SVG.

Can you explain your position on PDF and SVG please?

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                     http://kynn.com
Chief Technologist, Idyll Mountain                http://idyllmtn.com