Re: [CSS21] body { padding: 8px; } HTML40 sample stylesheet

On Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003, at 13:51 US/Pacific, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Todd Fahrner wrote:
>
>> The sample sheet in CSS1 is more prescriptive than descriptive of
>> common UA behavior. The px values in CSS2 are simply descriptive of
>> what Mosaic-derivative UAs use(d).
> - -
>>> And moving back to a small value like
>>> 1.12 is strange too.
>>
>> That is also based on empirical measurement of legacy behavior, and
>> does not represent a recommendation.
>
> So how should we understand the words "Developers are encouraged to
> use it
> as a default style sheet in their implementations."?

It is naive, but obviously enough so that I don't think there's much
danger of it being taken to heart. Less naively, I think it represents
an assertion that cross-UA renderings for the screen media type (at
least) *should* be more alike than not in the absence of author or user
styles.