Re: Link behavior

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Herr Christian Wolfgang Hujer wrote:
>
>>I think a href has a behaviour that effectivly consists of three steps:
>>The behaviour requesting the object from the user agent. (That makes it
>>possible for a spider or a tabbed browser to thread / tab)
>>The user agent creating and delivering the object.
>>The behaviour invoking the desired method or altering the desired attributes
>>of that object.
>
> I would say that's its semantics.

That seems more to me like behavior than semantics.
The semantic of a link is that of a pointer to another resource.
There's no "creating" or "requesting" associated with what it
*is*, only with how it typically behaves.

The HTML spec does, however, go on to define also how it behaves
by default:
  # The default behavior associated with a link is
  # the retrieval of another Web resource.
        -- http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/links.html#h-12.1.1

~fantasai