Re: What should happen with auto margins?

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Tom Gilder wrote:

> http://tom.me.uk/2003/2/css-margin-auto.html.
>
> Currently both IE6 and Opera 7 don't allow the element to go off to
> the left, but Mozilla does. In my opinion the former option is a lot
> more sensible, but does it violate the specification?

Yes. Mozilla is correct. Opera7 and IE6 have a bug.

> In both cases the margins seem to get the same value (as the specs
> demand): just with Op7 and IE6 that value is zero.

No, in the case of Opera7 and IE6, the right margin becomes negative while
the left margin is zero, while in Mozilla's case the two margins are both
equal to the same negative value.

The spec is very clear that the two margins must be given the same value
in this case.