Re: Length unit relative to media width

From: Coises <Randy@Coises.com>
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:25:05 -0700

>>The underlying problem is of course the
>>missing ability of css to build pages that looks the same on all media.

>I respectfully disagree.
>The "underlying problem" is twofold:

>1. All too many web designers fail to see that no one can design
>a (useful and non-trivial) page that "looks the same on all media."

>2. CSS has become enamored of specifics which belong only in a WYSIWYG
>("What you see is what you get") environment, when it should be working
>to enable authors to express the *logic* of design instead of the details;
>thus it encourages authors to think in WYSIWYG terms, and provides
<insufficient tools to those who try to think in terms of design logic but
>still want and need to code competitively well-designed pages.

Then, the underlying issue is:
Should we adapt WYSIWYG philosophy in CSS?
I have opened a thread on that.

>(Just to help you sleep well, consider this horror... a stubbornly
>determined coder probably could do it using ECMAScript, and make it
>work in at least one browser.)

I actually think that it could be done with javascript in all modern web-browsers.
I think that this sort of solutions is widely used on the web.
It would of course be better to be able to do such things in CSS.
But someone must think out the "logic" of how to implemet that.

Gaute Sandvik