Re: css as xml?

On 2/19/03 12:55 PM, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Peter Foti (PeterF) wrote:
>>
>> I haven't been following this thread, but I can think of 1 benefit of an CSS
>> as XML... XML User Agents would only need a single parser, vs. having both
>> an XML parser and a CSS parser.
>
> This isn't true. They'd still need an HTTP parser, a URI parser, a CSS
> value parser, a JavaScript parser, a PNG parser, etc. In any case, the
> parser is by _far_ the _easiest_ part of CSS to implement, so this isn't
> really an advantage.

I completely agree with Ian.

I can't believe people are *still* trotting out the tired and completely
irrelevant argument of "only need a single parser".  Not only is this
completely false (as Ian handily demonstrated), but is about equivalent to
saying you "only need a single for loop".  It really is that dumb.

Of the dozens (millions?) of things you could try to optimize a
data/programming/development model for, why the **** is there such an
obsession with optimizing for a "single parser"?

Are people being paid per angle bracket or what?

Tantek (who is seriously wondering if there is some sort of underground
"angle bracket racket" (which would make a cool name for a band...))