Re: text/html in generated content (was Re: [Fwd: Re: CSS2 "Content"])

L. David Baron wrote:

>On Thursday 2003-04-03 16:18 -0800, Yung-Fong Tang wrote:
>

>>Simon Montagu wrote:

>:before and :after are for *stylistic* generated content.  I find it
>highly unlikely that a file of type text/html would be stylistic, and
>thus I think the specification should explicitly state that, for visual
>media, the uri() values for generated content should only be used if the
>resource at the URI is an image.

The problem is the CSS2 does not restirct to image only in the spec.
Also, a example of .wav file actually is given in the CSS2 which make it
not only limited to image.

How about a flash file for icon? does that make sense?
How about a small quicktime movie for icon? does that make sense?
How about an MathML file as before or after? does that make sense?

>  This helps to enforce separation of
>content and presentation and makes it clear that a feature that would
>add significant complexity to implementations of 'content' is not
>required.

I agree. One big problem is we can find the SIZE of image or .wav file.
But there are no way to find the size for the .html.