Re: Scrollbars In The Box Model

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Andy wrote:

> My comment wasn't intended to determine whether the scrollbar would be
> placed left or right (since scrollbars also appear on the bottom), but
> where in the box model it's placed (ie. between the border-edge and
> margin, between the padding-edge and border etc).
> Currently UA's place the scrollbar differently and this seems something
> that should be changed.

Between border and padding is generally recognised as being the best
place. The specs are unlikely to give normative text for this, because we
(the working group) want to avoid requiring particular scrolling
mechanisms. It would be perfectly fine for a UA to have no scrollbars at
all and simply allow the element to be scrolled using a panning mechanism.