Re: Re : Pseudo-class :framed for the body element

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 leslie.brown@evidian.com wrote:

> ...VERY  useful if it could be applied to all elements, and not just

The HTML specifications already have the <noframes> element, which can be
used to specify content that is to be rendered if and only if the document
is presented without frames:
"NOFRAMES may be used, for example, in a document that is the source of a
frame and that uses the transitional DTD. This allows authors to explain
the document's purpose in cases when it is viewed out of the frameset or
with a user agent that doesn't support frames."
  http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/frames.html#edef-NOFRAMES

> For example, automatically display/hide context menus or warning messages
> when a page gets hi-jacked into someone else's frameset.

That might be useful, but if desired, it could be implemented simply by
adding adequate support to the already define <noframes> element.

It might be viewed as a presentational issue rather than content issue,
admittedly. But then we might ask whether frames themselves are
presentational and should be defined in CSS rather than HTML.