Re: CSS2.1 Various Inline-related Stuff

Ian Hickson wrote:

> > "content: ''" should do what you want even if '' does not generate
> > an inline since :before is an inline by itself.
>
> Eh? If ::before always generated an inline, even for the initial value
> of 'content', then margin collapsing would never work, and there would be
> a LOT of empty inline elements everywhere.

Revision:

Assuming that a new initial value of 'content' sets "display: none"
for :before/:after, "content: ''" should do what you want even if
'' does not generate an inline...

Since '' is not the initial-value-which-sets-"display:none", 'display'
stays as 'inline' and :before exists as an inline box.

> > Also, if the list margins are line height, you can work around the
> > problem by using an unnoticeable bit of padding to break the margin
> > collapse.
>
> As it says in the original mail [1], padding and margins won't cut it,
> because however much padding you use, the marker box will still move
> down with the text. You need to create a line box.

ohhhh. /That/ marker box. Sorry; I got mixed up. Does the nested list's
block box count as "a block box within the principal box that is above
the first line box"? It /starts/ above the first line box, but ends
after it...

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2000Jun/0008.html

~fantasai