Re: CSS2.1 Various Inline-related Stuff

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, fantasai wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> Incidentally, now that we have ::list-marker, we can use :before and
>> content:'' to solve the problem I raised over 2 years ago:
>>
>>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2000Jun/0008.html
>>
>> So there is definitely a use for generating empty inline elements.
>
> I was just looking at that yesterday, actually. (And wondering why
> list layout is high-security...)

High security?

> "content: ''" should do what you want even if '' does not generate
> an inline since :before is an inline by itself.

Eh? If ::before always generated an inline, even for the initial value
of 'content', then margin collapsing would never work, and there would be
a LOT of empty inline elements everywhere.

> Also, if the list margins are line height, you can work around the
> problem by using an unnoticeable bit of padding to break the margin
> collapse.

As it says in the original mail (reference above), padding and margins
won't cut it, because however much padding you use, the marker box will
still move down with the text. You need to create a line box.