Re: X11 Colors (was Last call comments on CSS3 module: color)

On 6/4/02 1:48 PM, "Jelks Cabaniss" <jelks@jelks.nu> wrote:

> Fantasai wrote:
>
>> Tantek Çelik wrote:
>>> Deprecate the X11 color names in CSS3 Color and SVG 1.1.* Keep the
>>> HTML4 color names. Keep the CSS2 system colors.**
>
>> Sounds like a good plan.
>
> I disagree wrt deprecating the X11 color names.  They are only *names*.
> Many of them are goofy, and the consistency design was atrocious -- but
> they are just names.  Furthermore, they are in everything from X11 to
> .NET (the new Petzold WinC# book has the chart for its entire inside
> back flap).  They are all over the place, whatever the warts!
>
> What is there to really gain by deprecation before an alternate and
> "better" naming scheme has been thoroughly designed and debated?

What there is to gain is perhaps twofold:

1. Discourage authors from using the X11 named colors.

2. Express W3C's position with respect to the X11 named colors.  Deprecating
the X11 colors essentially acknowledges that they do exist, acknowledges
that user agents have implemented them, that authors have used them, but
that future specifications may drop them.  How much in the "future" - who
knows.

It is true that in order to deprecate a feature, a replacement should be
suggested.  For the moment we suggest using rgb (or hsl) colors, until as
such a time that a better color naming scheme is discussed and developed.

> I question whether we want the word "deprecation" to be taken as lightly
> as a peachpuff.

I certainly don't think people on this list are taking this lightly - on the
contrary there are numerous strong feelings and opinions on this matter.

Thanks,

Tantek