Re: display:none in aural media

The display and aural properties are deliberately independent
so that you can independently choose whether some element should
be rendered visually or aurally. For example you may want to
suppress the visual rendering of a paragraph which is to be
spoken.

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Jonny Axelsson wrote:

> 19.02.02 09:09:20, "Yuu Morita" <VET06031@nifty.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi everyone,
> >
> >There is an element with which display:none was applied.
> >In this case, does a screen reader reproduce this element?
> >
> >For example,
> >
> >This P element is not displayed on visual UA. Well then,
> >how is it treated on aural UA?
> >I hope it is not reproduced on aural UA too, because CSS2
> >spec. said in 19.3, "To be sure to suppress rendering of
> >an element and its descendants, use the 'display' property."
> >
> >* http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/aural.html#speaking-props
>

> This is my reading too. In an aural style sheet there are only two values of
> interest, none and anything else.
>
> If you conversely *do* want to speak something that is not displayed
> visually, you could use a @media rule:
>
>   some-selector {display:none}
>   @media aural {some-selector {display: inherit} }
>
> As for the other CSS properties I consider visibility: hidden and
> volume: silent to be similar in a visual respectively aural context.
>

> Jonny Axelsson
> Documentation,
> Opera software

Regards,

-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> or <dave.raggett@openwave.com>
W3C Visiting Fellow, see http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett
tel/fax: +44 122 586-6240 (or 7351) +44 771 213 7629 (mobile)