Re: css3-lists: Coptic and Ionic Greek

Ian Hickson wrote:

> It seems extremely strange to me to have a system that is used to say
> something like "bla bla 88 bla bla" but if it the number is increased by
> two, it suddenly changes numbering system.

   "Although quite a number of points > 90 are defined, because of the
holes created due to the missing code-points, it is suggested to use
decimal as a fallback algorithm for numbers > 90". I don't really love
it, but I guess it's a viable solution. The editing is yours.

>>The number of the beast would be "chi xi sigma tau'" in modern greek
>>in any way.
>

> Sure, but it's not like anyone is going to use CSS counters to say the
> number of the beast.

   Yep.

>>So, if you want to make a note on that, I'd rather you said "it is
>>defined, but not used" for >= 90, than "is not defined".
>

> Would you be ok with that?
>
> My problem is that having a numbering system with a large numbers of holes
> in it is annoying to implement, ugly to specify, and disturbing to read.

   I only agree with "disturbing to read", but I guess that's enough.

>>>Ok, so for modern I won't mention numeral-sign, and I'll make the suffix
>>>")".
>>
>>Yes, and no, again.
>

> Well, I can't say "yes and no" in the spec.
>
> Should the spec say that lower-greek and upper-greek end with the numeral
> sign, or not? What should it say the suffix is? How about ancient-greek?

   No is for ancient greek, yes is for modern. The numeral sign *is*
part of the number. In ancient greek style dropping it is a big *NO-NO*.
In modern greek it is dropped, as a matter of style, when it is closely
followed by some other characters, for example the list-number suffix.
When used in a list, the suffix would be ")", the closing paren.

>>For modern-greek, when used in a list, you would drop the
>>numeral-sign, [...] But, when used in generated content, ie, TOC,
>>chapter title numbering, etc., the numeral-sign has to be there. [...]
>

> Well, authors can always add the numeral sign manually, if they are using
> generated content.

   Conceptually, I don't like it as a proposed solution. It solves the
problem, in a way, though. I'd say, make the spec be correct, and let
implementations propose work-arounds.

	C/

--
   Λες κι η στάθμη της αγάπης πάει να βρει                          /"\
   Πόσοι κρύβονται στη λάσπη θησαυροί         ASCII Ribbon Campaign \ /