Re: css3-lists: Coptic and Ionic Greek

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Christos Cheretakis wrote:

>> As I understand it, there are three greek-related 'numbering' systems:
>>
>>  * the traditional greek that you want adding (I think someone mailed an
>>    algorithm of this system to the list; if they didn't then I'll
>>    need one for when I add the system to the spec)
>
> Actually, that's three of them.

Ah, ok.

So there are five greek-related list-style-types.

>> Now, CSS2 gives the name 'lower-greek' to the second one of these, and
>> that has already been implemented, so we're stuck with that.
>
> Yep, I know. Standard bodies do never correct their mistakes. They
> just call it backwards compatibility ;-) Copy-pasting from my local
> copy of REC-CSS2-19980512, which I think is not the latest revision,
> but is the best one at hand right now: [...]

Well we could change it I guess. But I'd rather not as it is already
interoperably implemented, so changing it is expensive and will make the
values unusable for a period of time.

> Googling for "list-style-type" and "lower-greek" makes me quite happy
> as I mostly get to pages describing CSS2, a page from a Netscape
> employee describing their implementation, but no serious use of the
> numbering style named "lower-greek" till now.

Note that google often doesn't give results for stylesheet content.

> In my previous postings I've described three greek styles:
> - lower(-modern)-greek
> - upper(-modern)-greek
> - ancient-greek, or lower-ancient-greek, if you prefer

Ok. I just looked through my mail archives and I have about 7 different
variations of the algorithm and various different tables. Could you
provide an algorithm for each of these, in English, in the style of the
other algorithms given in:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-lists/#algorithmic

...including the unicode codepoints for each character, and some examples?
That would be most helpful.

> I'm using a C-style description [...]

Please don't. :-) Many of the readers of the spec do not understand C, and
I have had bad experiences trying to translate an algorithm from code into
english.

> I know this could be more structured, but I'm not trying to do my
> best coding here. Steps 4-7 would make a great do-until candidate.

Optimisation is _not_ a concern here. _All_ that matters is
readability. So please, do not worry about that at _all_!

Cheers,