Re: css3-lists: Coptic and Ionic Greek

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Christos Cheretakis wrote:

> I can tell you've made up your mind, and nothing I say can change
> that!

I never make up my mind to the extent that a reasoned argument won't
change it. :-)

> But for one, please do not call it neither traditional, nor greek,
> because it ain't any of it!!! You could name it
> english-textbooks-using-greek-letters-numbering-style, or perhaps
> german-teachers-using-greek-letters-numbering-style, or anything
> similar, but please, do not call it traditional greek.

As I understand it, there are three greek-related 'numbering' systems:

 * the traditional greek that you want adding (I think someone mailed an
   algorithm of this system to the list; if they didn't then I'll need one
   for when I add the system to the spec)

 * the greek letters in alhpabetical order used as an alphabetical list
   style in english texts, lower-case version

 * the greek letters in alhpabetical order used as an alphabetical list
   style in english texts, upper-case version

As I understand it, the first of these does not have lower and upper case
versions.

Now, CSS2 gives the name 'lower-greek' to the second one of these, and
that has already been implemented, so we're stuck with that.

To keep the naming at least semi-consistent, that would make the third one
'upper-greek'.

That leaves the first one.

How about just 'greek'?

Now I have to point out that I know basically nothing about list styles;
I'm a CSS guy not a linguist. Therefore I am relying on everyone in
www-style to correct me on these things. So if there is a problem with the
names given above, please say so, I am eager to please as many people as
possible while staying within the limits set out by CSS!