  • From: Christos Cheretakis <xalkina@otenet.gr>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:11:20 +0200
  • Subject: Re: css3-lists: Coptic and Ionic Greek
  • To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
> On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Christos Cheretakis wrote:
>
>>Tim Bagot wrote:

>>>They may not be used in Greek, but they are used elsewhere - not very
>>>often, but quite possibly more often than the ancient schemes. Perhaps
>>>they ought to be renamed (lower|upper)-greek-alphabetic or similar to
>>>reflect this?
>>
>>That would be valid when you need a sequence of symbols, like the
>>names of variables in a mathematical theorem from your example, or
>>something similar. I still insist that it's not correct in a numbering
>>context, as it is with lists, where you are counting/assigning numbers
>>to the items the list contains.
>

> I have definitely seen English-context lists that use alpha-beta-gamma
> list "numbers".
>
> Typically this only occurs with deeply nested lists, or with endnotes.
>
> But it happens.

   Alpha-beta-gamma is still correct in greek. I'm saying that the
strict sequence of letters as it is in the greek alphabet, used as a
sequence of numbers is wrong. In the greek numbering style there ase
some small deviations from the alphabet. For example, the sixth letter
in the greek alphabet is zeta (Z), but the sixth number is the
two-letters-complex sigma+tau (ST) (or stigma in the ancient greek
numbering). Likewise, number eleven is iota+alpha (IA), where iota
stands for ten and alpha stands for one.

   That is, the correct (I insist ;-) greek numbering sequence would be:

alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, sigma+tau, zeta, eta, theta, iota,
iota+alpha, and so on

where the style called greek in the text of the WD assumes this:

alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, zeta, eta, theta, iota, kappa,
lamda, and so on

   I'm not implying it's wrong to use the letters of the greek alphabet
for numbering list items --*we are* using them for that purpose. I'm
just asking to not standardise the wrong use!

	C/

--
   Λες κι η στάθμη της αγάπης πάει να βρει                          /"\
   Πόσοι κρύβονται στη λάσπη θησαυροί         ASCII Ribbon Campaign \ /