Re: Float overflowing behavior

Vadim Plessky wrote:
> On Friday 16 August 2002 9:24 pm, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> |  > Any solution is some kind of hack :-)
> |
> |  If this is the case, it merely indicates that the system is being used
> |  in a way it was not designed for.  This is a problem either with the
> |  user or with the system.  The claim here is that this is a problem with
> |  the system.
> |

> I hope none doubts that there is a problem with the system here (CSS specs)
>
> Problem is that *hacks* exist in *any* system!
> Let me take example with cars and roads.
> On most highways in Europe (with exception of Germany) you can drive at speed
> of 130km/hour max.
> And still people drive at higher speeds! They (sometimes) prefer to pay
> penalties (fine), and drive faster - but not to follow *rules*.
> This just illustarets that system (driving rules) are designed in a *wrong
> way*.
> If system was correct - than there is no reason to break the rules.

I think the rules cannot be designed in the "right way", at least for
the driving rules. That's because there're way too many goals. Two major
ones I think of are safety and lack of time. The limits are that low
because statistically driving faster is more dangerous and on the other
hand driving faster takes less time to get to the destination -- unless
there's major problems, of course.

I think the same applies to web: making things by the spec would make
things easier for everybody in the long run but coming up with ad hoc
solutions and just trusting that browser can figure out what was meant
is a lot faster way. Time is money and nobody wants to lose it for the
common good. If people can agree on goals (either the fast way or the
correct way, not both) then it's possible to come up with the "right way".

--
Mikko