Re: Where is the charter?

Bjoern Hoehrmann writes:
> * Chris Lilley wrote:
> >> If so, I really wonder what could be stated
> >> there... most WG charters are available to the general public.
> >
> >I wonder how you draw the conclusion that most are public?
>
> A quick search results in 18 public charters:
[...]
> How many active Working Groups does the W3C have? I don't think there
> are more than 36, otherwise I've really missed some important Domain.

50, I believe.

I think the reason the CSS charter is not public is mostly because the
members are used to it being that way. When the CSS WG started, long
ago, all charters were required to be member-only. It was thought at
the time that this was one of the benefits of membership: knowing
publication schedules in advance, knowing who was the chairman, how
often the group met and on what phone number, and other things.

When the charter was last renewed, I actually did ask if people were
interested in making it public, because we could if we wanted to. But
other issues had higher priority and thus the situation remained
unchanged.

Most members of the WG read this mailing list regularly, so maybe this
thread has made them change their mind...

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA