Re: OT: selectors (RE: Excluding declarations from the cascade)

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Manos Batsis wrote:

> Will someone please tell me what I should read to understand why I can't
> use XPath instead of using a new selector language?

XPath is newer than selectors. This is the third release of the Selectors
language, which was first released as part of CSS1 in 1996.

Selectors are designed with dynamic environments in mind, making them very
suitable for things like web browsers, which may try to match several
hundred selectors against several thousand elements every time the user
moves the mouse. XPath is significantly harder to optimise for cases like
this, as might be expected as it was designed to be complete, not dynamic.

--
Ian Hickson                                     )\     _. - ._.)       fL