RE: How is it possible to devise such a feeble system?

No, you don't need the explicit <tr>.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/tables.html#anonymous-boxes> says: "If
the parent P of a 'table-cell' element T is not a 'table-row', an object
corresponding to a 'table-row' will be generated between P and T. This
object will span all consecutive 'table-cell' siblings (in the document
tree) of T."

You've got the right structure, however, and there ought to be <th>s,
but there aren't because the CSS2 table model isn't mature yet.

Jeffrey Yasskin