Re: :target pseudo-class vs. XPointer

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> The CSS Level 3 Selectors Module [Selectors] introduces a new
> pseudo-class ':target' to refer to whatever the fragment identifier
> identifies (see http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-selectors/#target-pseudo).
>
> The draft currently incorrectly states "URIs with fragment identifiers
> link to a certain element within the document, known as the target
> element". This is true for HTML documents, but not for most other Media
> Types.

Certainly you have a point with "most other" but restricting it to only
HTML is too much. Other media types where fragment identifiers link to
certain elements include image/cgm and image/svg+xml and (I think)
application/rdf and also others such as wapml etc

> Depending on the successor of [RFC3023] it won't be true for XML
> documents.

Yes, there can be multiple selected targets and all should be selected.

> XPointers may be used to select many elements or just
> fragments of text nodes (using the ranges feature).

Which is another good reason to use a pseudo ... but in the case of
parts of a text node that would be a pseudo-element.

However, we should wait ansd see whatthe fragment identifier synyax for
xml actually is. It may well be all of XPointer but then again it might
also be a subset.

> I think the module has to address the following issues:
>
>   * does the :target pseudo-class apply to XPointers (i.e. non-simple
>     fragment identifiers)?

I think it does, for any media types that define XPointer as their
fragment syntax (currently none)

>   * If yes, is this feature mandatory for CSS3 conformance (i.e.
>     mentioned in the CSS3 profile, requiring support for the fragment
>     identifier mechanism of the current Media Type)?

yes

>   * If yes, why shouldn't there be a :xpointer() pseudo-class function
>     to extend W3C Selectors through XPointer (and by reference XPath)?

I need more details of exactly what you propose here.

--
Chris