Re: Errata in CSS3 selectors

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Ian Hickson wrote:
>> A UA that implements the XYZ profile of the spec implements everything
>> that profile XYZ says it must implement.
>
> Section 12 reads:
>
>   "Each specification using W3C selectors must define the subset of W3C
>    Selectors it allows and excludes, and describe the local meaning of
>    all the components of that subset."
>
> At the risk of beeing clueless: where will the normative CSS Level 3
> profile be defined?

Probably in the CSS spec that "uses" W3C selectors, namely the "Syntax"
spec. I would guess it would say "everything should be implemented".
(Although an exception might be made for :contains(), maybe.)

I don't know for sure, though! :-)

> For now I see a CSS 2 conforming user agent MAY implement :first-line
> and :first-letter and a CSS 3 conforming user agent MUST implement
> them and I wonder why.

Would you rather see it required, or not?

> Additionally, the non-normative CSS Level 2 profile in the W3C
> selectors draft says nothing about :first-letter and :first-line
> beeing optional, why don't CSS Level 2 and the non-normative profile
> match?

Probably because someone made a mistake (there are similar inconsistencies
with the CSS1 profile and the '::first-line' vs ':first-line' issue.)

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure profiles will be of much use. It's not
like most UAs will implement a particular profile -- how many UAs
implement the CSS1 spec, five years after its rise to REC status? (Hint:
the number is less than one.)

--
Ian Hickson                                            )\     _. - ._.)   fL
Invited Expert, CSS Working Group                     /. `- '  (  `--'