Re: Errata in CSS3 selectors

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Errata in CSS3 selectors
Date: Fri, May 18, 2001, 6:16 PM

> Hi,
>
> section 7.3:
>
> [...]
>   These are the CSS properties that apply to ::selection
>   pseudo-elements:color, background, outline.
> [...]
>
> There is a missing white-space.

yes.

> Shouldn't this be
>
>   'color', 'background', 'background-color', 'background-image',
>   'background-position', 'background-attachment', 'background-repeat',
>   'outline', 'outline-color', 'outline-style', 'outline-width'

That is implied.

> Why is there such a serious restriction on the
> applicable properties?

Originally more properties were proposed, but it turns out that anything
that depends on boxes or baselines does very poorly when you have a
::selection that spans multiple elements.  Outline is an exception, because
outline does not have discrete "sides" (unlike border) and it is reasonable
to put an outline around any arbitrary shape (which a ::selection can have).

> At least the 'cursor' property could be added.

Good point.  I missed that one.  Since we are passed last call, I will bring
it up with the working group to see if it is reasonable to add it at this
point.

> [...]
>   The color of 'background-image' on ::selection may be ignored.
> [...]
>
> This sentence makes no sense to me.

Me neither.  s/color/value

Namely, for the same reason that box related properties are ignored on
::selection (the problem of arbitrary shape), background-image is similarly
ignored, since tiling effects would be ill-defined at best.

Tantek

Take a cookie.                              http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ie/