Re: first-word pseudo-element

* Daniel Glazman wrote:
>Let's consider a Dutch city name beginning with s' (s'Gravenzande for
>instance) in a french text.

properly marked up of cause.

>I don't want, as a web author, to see one
>browser displaying the name correctly because its dictionary and
>grammatical reference is ok, and another one displaying correctly only
>the s because it considers it is a french sentence (like in "Il s'est
>cogné") !

I don't want to see broken implementations, too.

>I am also thinking of japanese combinations of chinese ideograms
>composing only one japanese word but perhaps two chinese words.

If the document is properly marked up, i.e. you set the (xml:)lang
attribute, I don't see no problem here.

>CSS should make
>no difference at all between languages and writing systems.

The recent text module does do so, as does e.g. XHTML.

>All
>text/visual properties should apply to all languages and writing system.

I agree here with Tantek Çelik. Others could say all CSS properties
should apply to all media, I think this is similar unreasonable.