Re: @version rule

30.07.01 17:54:58, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

>@version will _not_ give you that ability, as pointed out by Ian.  What
>@version will do is let you say "if you think you support cssX, process
>this block".  A UA can then proceed to process that block even if it
>does not have full support for all the declarations in it but thinks its
>cssX support is good enough.
>
>What you really want is a "treat as block and use or discard together"
>grouping feature, which seems to be a much more reasonable approach than
>@version.

Agreed on both counts. You wouldn't want a rule like this unless it is
really needed. There is a risk however with CSS3 that it will become needed
because

1. CSS3 is currently obscenely larger than CSS2, with many more interacting
properties
2. CSS3 is modular and a style sheet author will not know which modules are
in use

With the style sheet

property-a: something;
property-b: something-else;

where property-a is in module A and property-b is in module B, I don't know
any mechanism to ensure that either both or neither will be in effect. There
is no

@module A-id B-id{
  property-a: something;
  property-b: something;
}

if you wish. I have no cases of this being a problem, but on the other hand
I am not yet convinced that it can't become a problem either.

Jonny Axelsson
Documentation,
Opera software