Re: CSS2 errata - border backgrounds

fantasai writes:
> Bert Bos wrote:
> >
> > An erratum for 14.2 already exists.
>
> Is there a reason why it does not change this?
> cite="http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/colors.html#propdef-background-image">
> If a background image is specified, this property specifies
> whether the image is repeated (tiled), and how. All tiling
> covers the content and padding areas of a box.
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good point. Seems like an omission to me. I added it to the errata.

> > Why does it conflict with the figure in 17.5.1? That figure
> > talks about backgrounds only, not about borders.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/images/tbl-empty.gif

Ah, *that* image, I thought you meant the one before that.

> cite="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/tables.html#table-layers">
> <STYLE type="text/css">
>       TABLE { background: #ff0; border-collapse: collapse }
>       TD    { background: red; border: double black }
> </STYLE>
>
> If the border were rendered on top of the elements background, the
> space between the double borders would be red, not yellow.
>
> This is also something that needs to be clarified:
> In the collapsing-borders table model, where are the boundaries
> of the cell backgrounds? Does one over-paint the other? Do they
> meet in the middle?

Hmm, tables might be special. The borders between cells do not belong
to just one element. Maybe the background of those borders should have
special rules as well.

What do you think *should* happen?

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA