Re: XML root-level MIME type?

At 03:47 AM 4/18/01 +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> >XSLT and XSL would be xml/xsl, svg could be xml/svg. (Although image/svg
> >works) XHTML could be xml/xhtml. I think this is a good idea because
> >compressing all the possible XML formats into "text/xml" and
> >"application/xml" seems squished. And xml is really not just text.
>
>Take a look at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt and the discussion
>around it.

Yep.  It lets you do things like image/svg+xml.  I pushed hard for a
root-level MIME type, or for more than two layers of type (xml/image/svg),
but the suffix was the best we could get.  In the end, I was pretty happy
with it.

The discussion is at:
http://www.imc.org/ietf-xml-mime/

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly and Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML