Re: Block-level formatting and width in Netscape 6

Tuesday, April 17, 2001, 4:54:30 PM, Philip wrote:

PH> I have been wondering about the following related matters:
PH> CSS level1 says of Horizontal formatting:

PH> The horizontal position and size of a non-floating, block-level element
PH> is determined by seven properties: 'margin-left', 'border-left',
PH> 'padding-left', 'width', 'padding-right', 'border-right' and
PH> 'margin-right'. The sum of these seven is always equal to the 'width' of
PH> the parent element

PH> Does this mean that it is proper for a block element to always scroll or
PH> crop an amount equal to the padding inside the width of the parent
PH> element? This seems improper to me.

    I don't understand your question. However, it's not *always*
    appropriate to scroll or crop an "amount equal to the padding
    inside the 'width' of the parent element" (what exactly you mean
    by this, I'm not sure). For example, a block element with 'width:
    auto' and 'padding-left: 50%' doesn't *always* need to "scroll or
    crop." (Hell, even IE5.5 gets this one right.)

PH> I suppose as well that if the padding on the body tag is zero then a
PH> block element of width 100% should _not_ scoll regardless of margin or
PH> border size. Since Netscape 6 and Mozilla both scroll the distance of
PH> the combined border and margin of a div of width 100% this must be a
PH> formatting bug.

    NS6 & Mozilla interpret the CSS box model correctly, as far as I
    can tell. See section 4 of CSS1:

      The size of the box is the sum of the element width (i.e.
      formatted text or image) and the padding, the border and
      the margin areas.
      http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#formatting-model

    Before IE6, IE did NOT get the CSS box model right. IE will
    instead subtract (?) borders and padding from the specified 'width'.