Re: Ideas for the ACSS module of CSS3

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Sean Palmer wrote:

> Maybe if I thought of a beter example...
> Ah! p { color: #803050, else(color: #303030;); } for black-and-white
> screens!

But black and white screens will just fall back to the nearest grayscale
equivalent anyway. (Also, that syntax doesn't explain if the fallback
should be used when the palette can't resolve the required colour, when
the bit depth can't resolve the appropriate colour, or when the physical
display cannot show the appropriate colour.)

> Hang on, that's a bit crud as well...
> img { border: 1px black, else(border: 0;); } for imageless browsers, and you
> don't want a border round the placeholder.

A true problem, but I prefer my suggested solution:

   img { border: none; }
   img:replaced { border: 1px black; } /* only matches if image was used */

This seems to be very controversial though.

--
Ian Hickson                                     )\     _. - ._.)       fL
Netscape, Standards Compliance QA              /. `- '  (  `--'