Re: Font bug in IE 5.5

pdf@bizfon.com wrote:

> I apologize in advance for posting this to the list, but I don't know
> where to look for info on this.

comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets, although I haven't seen an
answer there.

> font-family: serif,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;

I've had this problem too. It happens any time IE 5.5 uses the 'serif'
generic font family, not just if it's the first in the list. I'm not sure
it happens on all IE5.5 installations, but it happens enough that it's
worth avoiding. I put a Windows-specific font name immediately before
serif to avoid it ever choosing that, eg:

  font-family: "GoodFont", "CrapFont", "Times New Roman", serif

Microsoft seems not to have acknowledged this (IMHO serious) bug.

By the way, I'm not sure putting *two* generic font-family names in the
list above makes much sense.

--
Andrew Clover
Technical Support