Re: Default XSL stylesheet for XHTML documents

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Also sprach Chris Lilley:
>
>  > > And certainly not alone. Documents should always be published either in
>  > > well known semantic-full vocabularies (XHTML, MathML, even SVG to some
>  > > extent)
>  >
>  > Uhm, in what way is XHTML 'semantic'. I agree that half of the MathML spec
>  > (the lesser-implemented part) is semantic.
>
> It's an intersting question. I don't think data formats are "semantic"
> or "presentational" -- there exists a continuous "ladder of abstraction".
>
> I have tried to assess various web document formats in a recent paper:
>
>   http://www.opera.com/people/howcome/2000/PODDP/
>
> -h&kon

I think the water is also muddied by the many XML 'dialects' that are
really just re-expressions of previous processing/data models, but with
extra angle brackets. VoxML (with a <goto /> element!) and XFDL are two
examples that come to mind.

Ian
--
Ian Graham ......................... Centre for Academic Technology
i a n   d o t   g r a h a m    a t    u t o r o n t o   d o t   c a